Tuesday, September 11, 2007

First, I think it is hard to separate experiences in your mind without meshing the ideas. Trying to separate what is preached in church versus critically reading Matthew and Exodus is very difficult. I think this plays a role when the whole class analyzes the literature. First, each person has SOME perception of the Bible before they entered the classroom. I doubt that anyone is completely in the dark about all the aspects of the Bible. Probably every person in America has come in contact with some form of the Christian religion, whether it be a sermon in church or on TV, or hearing a friend talk about one part of the Bible. Thus, I think this background information changes how each person first interprets the text the first time around. But hearing classmates interpretation can change or just tweak your views. Overall, I think it is fascinating to hear how others interpret five pages of Biblical reading.

The thing I find hardest to understand is the God's message and behavior. It is the same problem I had in Genesis. God tells man in Matthew not to be a hypocrite, and see yourself clearly. Yet God himself fails to do this. He tells man he is jealous god. Admitting fault is a good first step, but God insists that man corrects these faults. I cannot grasp how a man so powerful cannot be a better model for man. And if Jesus is God in the human form, does Jesus have these same faults? But is he not described as the perfect man?

When I did read this in a critical way, a good message did come through in the text; however. The morals that I try to live by each day were personified in an eloquent way. However; I think that the text flows better in the poem form. It is easier read, and can be followed as a story. Also, some of the verses are meant to be read as one sentence or thought. When these are broken up, it becomes difficult to grasp the same understanding as when the lines are all together as in the Bible. However; the new format does allow for easier interpretation, as breaks are automatically given for extra thought.

On the whole, I think that message sent in the readings from Matthew and Exodus is great, but the story is hard to understand since God's words about himself seem contradictory to the message.

No comments: