Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Conversationalist

Okay, so after writing about half of my paper, I still like the prompt. But, what I really want to talk about are the five places in the Gita that basically sum it up.



There are so many ideas strung throughout the entire text. Even Arjuna, who is there with Krishna, has to ask for clarification in Krishna's teachings. And Arjuna probably has a background in the stuff anyways, he knows some stuff about tradition and discipline! I think the text can be so confusing because of all the ideas and that fact that my background information on the Gita and Hinduism ranges from nothing to just about nothing. But, Wikipedia really is a wonderful thing. (you can even put yourself in there.... but then the editors take it out)



I think that reincarnation is a huge deal to me because there is nothing like it in the Chirstian culture that I live in. Also, I think that the whole lost in translation thing plays a pretty big role in the story. Even replacing action with charisma makes the story so much easier to read. But the limited vocabulary of the English language can only take a reader so far.



Another important topic that plays, obviously, a huge role throughout the lessons of Krishna, is discipline in action and such. But how does mediation play into this? and with ASAT and SAT are these just abbrevations, or is it something else when its in a native language? Either way, narrowing downt the Gita to 5 of the most imporant lessons is definately difficult. There is so much in each of the lessons that it is no wonder that Arjuna has all those questions.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Wow, I have some big spaces between these paragraphs....