Saturday, October 27, 2007

Montaigne's Text

So what is the point of Montaigne's text? Hmmm.... According to Wikipedia (which is almost better than Google, in my professional opinion) Montaigne wanted to describe man, including himself with "utter frankness". But does Montaigne have an alternative motive that involves his views on the religion and his own society? Montaigne is apparently the father the 'anti-Conformist French spirit'. But what does this mean about the text Of Cannibals?

I think that Montaigne thinks there are flaws in all of human cultures. But, I think that he disagrees that one culture can judge another when it comes to defining the superior culture. (This reminds me of slavery in the US based on skin color, what was used to judge that white was superior? In this case, it was the Bible!) Montaigne basically degrades his own culture by criticizing the cannibalism of other cultures. He is so good at subtley putting hints in there. The first time I read the text, I never would have guessed he was talking about the fight between Catholism and Protestants.

So which side does Montaigne agree with? He is a practicing Catholic, yet from what I can gather, he thinks the whole fight is stupid and too brutal. Montaigne is so witty and saracastic in a way that was very difficult for me to pick up.

No comments: