Monday, October 22, 2007

Of Art and Cannibals

First, I would like to point out that my last blog pretty much discusses what we talked about in class today. And I would also like to say that Religion Department at UC is pretty much awesome.... anyways... back to art.

I think that the points our substitute professor brought up today were very interesting. Which allows for more interpretation: art or literature? This is one of those questions that doesn't have a definite yes answer. I honestly think it depends on the situation. And there are a lot of factors that go into how one person interprets art. Does that person look at the symbolism, the bias, the colors, and the effects of a work of art? What does the art make someone think about and feel? Comparing the story of Noah with Michelangelo's masterpiece make the story seem almost trivial. Though the story is necessary to understand the picture better, I do think that the picture opens the readers mind to the emotion felt by all the sons. Genesis is so vague about emotions and thoughts of the characters that the painting gives the viewer a better feel of what exactly went on that day (kind of a strange course of events).

I would like to add to my last blog and elaborate a little more on what I think what defines art as art is at the discretion of the viewer. Depending on the knowledge, ability, and openmindness (not a word, but I just made it one...HA!) of the viewer, anything can be art. So basically the interpretation about a piece of art and what defines art go hand in hand.

No comments: