Monday, November 5, 2007

God's Universe

After listening to Dr. Owen Gingerich speak for about an hour, I realized how much he really provokes you to think. My friends and I actually talked about him and his ideas on the way back to the dorm (surprising, I know!). I never thought anyone could take such a strong stance half-way between intelligent design (not Intelligent Design) and evolution. I really thought this was going to be a lecture on the stars and astronomy, but what he talked about was much better. He even asked the infamous CIE question, What does it mean to to human? Dr. Gingerich thinks there is a special spark in Homo sapiens. This part of his argument makes me lean more towards intelligent design as the driving force rather than evolution. I really don't think genes can make a special spark.

In biology, we learn how little slime molds can help each other out (they even act like humans, trying to cheat the system). Is this the special spark? I think with Evolutionary Biology and CIE all in one semester, it makes on interesting time for a college freshmen. I think since I am still sorting out my own ideas, those ideas from the lecture, and how Galileo argued for God's work in every aspect of life, it can confuse the hell out of someone. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the lecture (Amino acids, with a long i)!

No comments: