Sunday, November 11, 2007

Merchant of Venice, Women, and Our Paper

First, I have decided that I do like the prompt for our essay (I swear, I'm not just sucking up). But, I had a hard time getting to my point when I was developing my ideas. I'm bad at that anyways, but in this essay I actually realized that I couldn't clarify my points (Maybe that is sign my writing is improving, but I seriously doubt it).

On to the Merchant of Venice....
Can I just say that I think Portia is like my idol. Shes smart, witty, rich, pretty, and tricks her own husband!! (hahaha, evil laugh) The text kind of confused me at first. I think that Shakespeare takes of thought to read, so I read it in parts (ADD kicks in too). Anyways, the sarcasm is usually easy for me to pick up, but when I miss it, it seems like the next page or so doesn't make sense anymore. But I love reading plays and this one was probably one of my favorites of Shakespeare's. Like I said, I love how Portia tricks Bastiano.

In Shakespeare's time women couldn't act in plays. They were toys for society. So what is Shakespeare trying to say about the women of Europe at this time? He creates Portia has to dress as a man to help her husband and his friend out. I really think a strong point is expressed here and I'd like to discuss it more....

No comments: